When you are trying to go vegan, motivation is surely needed. What initially pushed me to go plant-based was the wide array of documentaries on the subject. They opened up my eyes to the truth about Factory Animal Farming. Another medium that helped me retain my plant-based ideology was motivational quotes.
Sometimes a simple sentence is enough to make the most difficult or complex subjects extremely simplified. That’s one of the reasons why I periodically read motivational quotes.
I am going to present to you 13 amazing vegan quotes that will inspire you to go plant-based or stick to the lifestyle if you are finding yourself veering off the path. Some of these quotes have nothing to do with veganism or animal cruelty but certainly still apply to the subject.
1) “The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.” -Albert Einstein
When you bring up the subject of American slavery or the Holocaust, people rightfully show their contempt and disdain for the human atrocities that took place. But when we discuss factory animal farming, there is silence. 56 Billion animals are killed for food each year yet very few in the civilized world object to this current ongoing catastrophe.
2) “I don’t see why someone should lose their life just so you can have a snack.” -Russell Brand
This really sums up the reason for the fact that 150 million animals die per day. For much of the civilized western world, animal products are a luxury, not a necessity. You can live perfectly fine by just consuming fruits, vegetables, and legumes. Yet much of the world subscribes to taking away the life of innocent creatures simply because their flesh tastes good.
3) “Eating meat is the most disgusting thing I can think of. It’s like biting into your grandmother.” -Morrissey
Morrissey, former lead frontman of The Smiths, is a well documented animal rights activist. The concept of eating meat is truly repulsive when you give it some thought. Here you have a being (animals) with a face that shits, pisses, and vomits. They breed and have emotions. They also cling to the idea of life and avoid pain at all costs. This being is what many people eat. With plants, there are no eyes, emotions, or instinctual desires to survive. Also there is no shit, puss, or vomit. Yet many opt in for the former.
4) “There is no fundamental difference between man and animals in their ability to feel pleasure and pain, happiness, and misery.” -Charles Darwin
As an owner of three dogs and two cats, this quote cannot be more true. My animals indicate clearly when they like or dislike something, when they feel discomfort, and when something brings them joy. Factory farmed animals are no different yet because they are not your typical domesticated animals, they have become the forgotten voices of societies atrocities.
5) “My body will not be a tomb for other creatures.” -Leonardo Da Vinci
Your body essentially becomes a holding place for the flesh and bone of living creatures. To call it a tomb for animals is certainly not far from the truth of reality. Do the following experiment – eat two pounds of fruits, berries, and greens. Then eat two pounds of poultry and beef. I guarantee you that you will feel alive and energetic doing the former, and lifeless doing the latter.
6) “When I see bacon, I see a pig, I see a little friend, and that’s why I can’t eat it. Simple as that.” -Paul McCartney
It is truly hard to want to consume a creature like the pig when you’ve seen enough footage of how friendly, smart, and similar they are to domesticated animals like dogs. They are considered to be the 5th-smartest creatures in the animal kingdom. Here is a great article discussing the lives of pigs and how unique they are.
7) “No other animal on Earth has portrayed such a disregard for life than mankind.” -Anthony Douglas Williams
We have graveyards of flesh displayed in supermarkets. Ads show smiling cows aimed towards children trying to convince them to drink the milk destined only for their offspring. It has become fashionable to wear the skin of defenseless creatures. Mankind has truly shown no regard to our neighboring creatures. In fact, we have made a mockery of their lives.
8) “The animals of the world exist for their own reasons. They were not made for humans any more than blacks were made for whites, or women for men.” -Alice Walker
Even Biblically, there are many laws and rules in place when it comes to utilizing animal products for human needs. God Himself made it abundantly clear absolutely no suffering should take place towards an animal unless necessary such as a medical need. Yet even the religious among us show complete disregard to these creatures with no justification whatsoever.
9) “If you don’t like pictures of animal cruelty being posted on social media, you need to help stop the cruelty, not the pictures. You should be bothered that its happening, not that you saw it.” -Marie Sarantakis
I see this one a lot. People always complain how graphic some of the photos my wife and I post are. I think what’s more graphic and cruel are the eating habits people have casually taken out with a second thought.
10) “I can’t think of anything better in the world to be but a vegan.” -Alicia Silverstone
Environmentally, physically, and morally, going vegan is certainly the easy choice to make if you want to ensure you create the least amount of cruelty in the world and amongst yourselves.
11) “You put a baby in a crib with and apple and a rabbit. If it eats the rabbit and plays with the apple, I’ll buy you a new car.” – Harvey Diamond
As children, we inherently don’t want to eat or harm animals. Only through many years of advertising by major corporations do we convince ourselves it’s perfectly fine to enslave several species all for the sake of our tastebuds.
12) “Some people think the “plant-based whole foods diet” is extreme. Half a million people a year will have their chests opened up and a vein taken from their leg and sewn on their coronary artery. Some would call that extreme.” – Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn
The cost of healthcare, the extreme medical procedures, and the volume of medication we intake daily is by far the truest testament of how extreme is it to eat animal products. Our bodies being opened and then sown again is truly terrifying knowing that all of this is done so we can continue to eat our steaks and ice creams.
13) “Cows scream louder than carrots.” ― Alan Watts
This is a straightforward fact. If you look at how my tomato, carrot, or lettuce is produced, it never once screamed or bled or tried running away. Cows, pigs, and chickens on the other hand do all of the above. Perhaps it is time you give it some thought and decided that maybe your food should never be in a position to want to scream at the top of its lungs.
Going plant-based may seem like an extreme approach to life, but when you read some of these eye-opening quotes discussing the realities of factory animal farming, and the extent of man’s cruelty towards the animal kingdom, being a vegan isn’t so extreme after all. I hope these quotes will ignite an urgency in you to consider going vegan if you aren’t already!
You can reach out to me directly through email at email@example.com if you want book recommendations to get you motivated.